The Premier Habeas Corpus Lawyer in California
Based in San Francisco, California, Kent Russell is a highly experienced attorney dedicated to protecting the rights of citizens throughout the state of California and nationally. Mr. Russell's specialty is in representing prisoners on Habeas Corpus cases, and he is widely recognized as California’s leading expert on habeas corpus, state and federal. Kent is the author of "The California Habeas Handbook", currently in its fifth edition.
Kent’s law firm, Russell and Russell, specializes in state and federal habeas corpus litigation. The firm has vast experience with all of the following:
- Case Evaluations.
- Drafting, supporting, amending, and defending state and federal habeas petitions.
- Evidentiary hearings in state and federal court.
- Exhaustion petitions and applications for stays pending exhaustion in federal court.
- Informal and formal (“OSC”) briefing in the California Supreme Court.
- Oppositions to Motions to Dismiss based on untimeliness and procedural default.
- Traverses (replies) in U.S. District Court and in state court.
- Objections to U.S. Magistrate Judge’s Report and Recommendation.
- Applications for Certificate of Appealability (COA) in U.S. District Court and in the U.S. Court of Appeals.
- Appeals following habeas corpus dismissals.
- Certiorari writs (to U.S. Supreme Court).
- Rule 60 Motions (to set aside prior orders on grounds if IAC, clerk error, etc.)
- “Actual Innocence” Petitions (submitted after AEDPA statute of limitations has run).
Kent is an experienced and dedicated lawyer who has been actively representing criminal defendants, appellants, and petitioners for over 40 years in state and federal courts in California and throughout the country. He has handled hundreds of habeas corpus petitions on the state and federal level, and is an acknowledged, practicing expert in appellate and habeas corpus law both in California and nationally.
If you have questions, click on “Contact Kent Russell” or call our office today!
Home | Meet Kent Russell | "California Habeas Corpus Handbook" | "Habeas Hints" & Media
Links Section | Contact Kent Russell